The core functions of the directorate are:-
- Development and review of water and sanitation services
- Coordination of water supply and sewerage activities to both urban and rural areas
- Monitoring the performance of all Water Services Boards.
- To ensure Rational and equitable allocation of water resources
- Formulation of national Water Resources Strategy and Enforcement of Water Act 2002 and Water Resources Management Rules
- Policy formulation and giving Policy direction from time to time
- Mapping and publishing of key water catchment areas, groundwater resources and flood prone areas
- Water quality testing and Surveillance to ensure compliance with drinking water standards
- Resource mobilization for the management, preservation, conservation, protection and allocation
- Water Resources Database Organization and dissemination
- Land Reclamation
- Development of appropriate policies, guidelines and legislation.
- Promotion of rain water harvesting, water storage and environmental conservation in the ASALs and waste lands.
- Development of Water harvesting and storage Infrastructure