The core functions of the directorate are:-
- Formulation of County specific physical planning policies and guidelines
- Interpretation and Implementation of the Physical Planning Act (Cap 286), and any other law(s)) that may be enacted to guide the physical planning functions.
- Provision of advice to the national and county government on physical planning matters.
- Responsible for preparation of County, urban Integrated and Local Physical Development plans
- Vetting and Verification of building plans, regulation of the use of land, execution of development control and preservation orders.
- Provision of advice on matters concerning land alienation to the National Land Commission and County governments and appropriate use of land such as change of user, extension of user, extension of lease, subdivision of land, amalgamation of land, and processing of environmental impact assessment.
- Management and maintenance of physical planning records and data bank.
- Resolving conflicts arising from physical planning processes.
- Initiating and undertaking research on urbanization strategies and policies.
- Collaborating with local, regional, and National Land Commission on matters related to physical planning.